Congratulations to Matt Phillips from Bunkman Guitars
on being our March Guitar of the Month winner! Let's find out how
he created this unique Doyle Wolfgang von Frankenstein inspired
"First off let me start by saying… I am a hobbyist. I have been
building guitars from scratch since 2006. It's something that I
enjoy doing on the weekends and holidays. One of these days I
plan on going "full time". I want to thank Mohawk for making
awesome products and giving me this opportunity.Recently I was
presented with a chance to help a childhood friend raise money for
his "micro-preemie" son. As you might know, medical bills can pile
up in these situations.
For me, this was a chance to do something completely unique and
step "outside the box". I decided to do a modified version of
Doyle Wolfgang Von Frankenstein's Annihilator. Doyle is the
guitarist for "The Misfits". These guitars are out of
production and pretty hard to come by. This also gave me an
opportunity to really express myself artistically.
The original guitar is a neck through but I decided to try my
own design for the neck pocket. I used brass inserts and
machine screws to bolt the neck into place from the bottom.
Essentially, this compresses the wood simulating a neck through
design. It actually resonates amazingly and is not as "muddy"
sounding as some of the neck through guitars I have played.
This design also makes maintenance much easier. You can watch a
video of the neck sliding in
I also wanted a locking hardtail bridge that allowed for fine
tuning similar to a Floyd rose but without "whammy". I
modified a Schaller base and bolted it to a solid brass
block. I then used machine bolts to mount the entire unit to
the body, allowing for height adjustment. I had the bridge
powder coated flat black. It works like charm.For the body, I used
a ½ quilted maple top and American alder base. The neck core is
laminated Rock maple with Honduran mahogany. I decided to use
Cocobolo rosewood for the finger board.
For the finish, I wanted to keep the styling of The Misfits by
using Flat black on a majority of the guitar. I also wanted to
feature the beautiful quilt of the maple. Here is what I
I finished the shape and body chamfers then sanded to 320. I
sealed the back and side of the body/ neck. I then sprayed a
single coat of
M100-0224 Black to the maple top. I then used a rag soaked in
acetone to work black into the quilt. I let this dry overnight,
then sanded with 320 again. This exposes the natural maple with
deep dark quilt.
Then I sprayed two coats of
M100-0273 Modern Mahogany to the top only. Then I used
M104-S224 Satin Black on the back, sides and bursting onto the
top. Then used
M102-0485 Dead Flat Clear all over the guitar, giving it a
magical satin finish. I finished the project off with a coffin case
and Crimson Ghost emblems. This project was very time consuming,
but I enjoyed every second.
This guitar will be auctioned off on Ebay in early April and
proceeds to benefit little Early Coffey. Thanks again Mohawk… I
couldn't have done this without you. Now on to the next
Thanks for sharing with us Matt! If you have any questions about
the guitar, our products, or anything touch up related, feel free
to reach out. If you would like to be considered for our Guitar of
the Month for April, submit your before and after photos on our Facebook
group, or tag us on Instagram. See
you next week!